Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Finiding Meaning Beyond Words

The other day our 2 and 1/2 year old son melted our hearts. He's a pretty snuggly little guy. As he was gazing into his mother's eyes and playing with her hair, he suddenly said, "Mom, you my boy." The noun was incorrect, but the meaning was right on. Actually, by calling my wife "my boy" our young son was coming up with the most precious term he has in his extensive vocabulary. He was simply mimicking his parents who shower him with love and affection and often say, "you're my boy."

It's easy to let a person's incorrect word choice get in the way of their message. Both in the classroom and at home, I try hard to ask for clarification before assuming complete understanding. But, sometimes I simply look/listen beyond the words; there is often a treasure waiting there.

No comments: