Thursday, January 3, 2008

Wondering about Wonder

Have you ever wondered what it means to wonder? Emily Dickinson has a gorgeous poem that starts out:

Wonder -- is not precisely Knowing
And not precisely Knowing not --

My students and my children often live in this state between certainty and ignorance. Right now my three year old son knows that his nose is stuffy, but he doesn't understand why. He suspects that he'll get better, but he doesn't know when. He trusts that everything will be okay, but he doesn't know how.

Because he lives in this state of wonder, he is receptive to new ideas. In fact, he craves them. If you want to be a kid@heart, embrace wonder. :-)

3 comments:

Liz B Davis said...

That is a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to have to read it a few more times. As adults we need to become more confortable with the state of wonder and not always jump to finding and "answer."

Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm wondering what you will be writing for your next post... I look forward to reading it.
-Liz

Carolyn Foote said...

I sometimes think it is the thing educators most lack--the more experienced, the harder it is to "play" or just simply "wonder" at things. Those traits of wonder are so important to life-long learning--how do we nurture that?

I love your post. Thanks!

Pam said...

Most kids seem to lose that ability to wonder, due to their experiences in traditional school. Some teachers help keep the wonder alive... I suspect you are one of them. Congrats on getting a blog started!